For God’s own foodies in the city : Onam specialsmriti saxena
If South Indian food always translated into masala dosa and idly for you, then it’s time you moved on. And what better occasion to tickle your taste buds with fare from the region than Onam — the harvest festival of Kerala, in which, food forms an intrinsic part. Most dishes are whipped out of produce from the season’s fresh harvest of rice, and coconut. A typical sadya, served on a banana leaf, consists of 24-28 vegetarian dishes including rice, kootan (curry), papad, as well as a jaggery payasam to wrap the meal with. Here’s our pick of restaurants in the city that are serving a similar spread. So, pack your appetite, and enjoy!
- Where: Cafe Delhi Heights
- Must have: Have your fill of spicy Chettinad curry with warqi (layered) parantha and go traditional with food.
- Average Meal: Rs500 per person (plus taxes)
- Address: 3rd Floor, Ambience Island, Gurgaon
- Where: Dakshin
- Must have: Head here for a traditional Malayali meal, enjoy kai uperi (salted banana chips), parippu thalichathu (Kerala home style lentil curry), parippu pradhaman (lentil cooked with coconut, jaggery) and much more.
- Price of thaali: Rs1,500 (plus taxes)
- Address: Welcome Hotel Sheraton New Delhi, Saket
- Time: 12.30pm to 2.45pm
- Where: Kaustubh Restaurant
- Must have: Feel like home here, as you dig into dishes such as avial (vegetable cooked in coconut paste) puli ingy (chutney), kalaan (churned yogurt with raw bananas) and more, cooked granny style.
- Average Meal for two: Rs500 (plus taxes)
- Address: DLF Restaurant Block, DLF Place,Saket
- Where: Vaango
- Must have: Celebrate Onam with twin payasams, their special sweet treats that are traditionally part of Onam festivities — ada payasam (rice flakes, milk and sugar ) and parippu payasam (moong dal, coconut milk, jaggery)
- Cost of Dish: Starting from Rs49 per person (plus taxes)
- Address: All outlets in Delhi NCR, including GIP, Noida
- Where: Elf Cafe Lounge
- Must have: No Onam feast is complete without a creamy coconut veg curry. So, this year, treat your taste buds to the yummiest of the Onam special dishes.
- Average Meal: Rs 400 per person (plus taxes)
- Address: 26 A, 2nd Floor, Hauz Khas Village
- Where: Club Rhino
- Must have : Try some kottu — a carrot and coconut preparation, pepped up with red chilli. Team it up with steamed rice and tangy traditional spiced yogurt.
- Average Meal: Rs 499 per person (plus taxes)
- Address: 312, DLF South Point Mall, DLF Phase 5, Golf Course Road, Gurgaon.
- Where: Zambar
- Must have: Relish the traditional Onam Sadhyaa, an array of almost 24 dishes, such as olan (pumpkin and red-eyed beans in coconut milk), beetroot pachadi (a kind of raita), idiyappam (sweet dumplings), and more delicacies.
- Average Meal: Rs1,190 (plus taxes)
- Address: 3rd Floor, Ambiance Mall, Gurgaon
- Time: 12pm — 4pm
A Full Platter
- Where: Carnatic Cafe
- Must have: Enjoy a traditional Onam sadhya, which incudes rice, sambhar, rasam, jackfruit chips, payasam (sweet dish), papad. Wash down the treats with some yummy butter milk.
- Average Meal: Rs160 per person (plus taxes)
- Address: Community Center, New Friends Colony
Source: Hindustan Times
Cover image: trendzandlife