8 ‘dadi – sa’ secrets from kitchen to fight viral fever!Smriti Saxena
Here’s are some natural remedies for colds, sore throat and viral fever that are easy to find in your kitchen:
- Garlic: When it comes to fighting cold and fevers the natural way, there is probably no better medicine than garlic. Well known for its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-protozoal properties, it helps in relieving stubborn coughs and clearing mucus that blocks the lungs. The anti-viral and anti-bacterial property of garlic is attributed to the compound “Allicin” found in it that also provides the hot and strong flavor. The best way to use garlic for treating colds is to crush 5-6 cloves and consume it raw.
- Ginger: It’s one of the key medicines of Ayurveda treatment and it has been used for centuries to treat various kinds of aliments. It helps in treating infections of the respiratory tract, persistent cough and bronchitis. The compound “Ajoene” present in garlic helps in controlling infections by bacteria, viruses and microbes. It is also used for treating muscle cramps and muscle pain that is caused by fever. Prepare delicious ginger tea by boiling water in a pan and enjoy this soothing drink while relaxing in your bed.
- Cinnamon: A highly flavorful spice with an anti-bacterial and natural warming property that helps in treating sore throat, colds and cough and a nice warm cup of cinnamon tea can heal throat irritation, itching and can prevent the approach of an impending cold effectively. Suggested best way to use cinnamon for treating cold and sore throat is to mix one table spoon of honey with 1/2 table spoon of freshly ground cinnamon and take it 2-3 times a day for 3 days.
- Honey: The antioxidants and anti-microbal properties of honey helps in soothing cough and it helps in treating nigh time cough in infants and promotes undisturbed sleep. However, it is not recommended for children below 1 year due to the risk of botulism. Honey also helps in reducing sensitivity of the throat by coating it. The best way to use it for relieving cough is to mix 1 tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and sip it slowly.
- Holy Basil (Tulsi): Known to be used for ages as a medicine for relieving stress and anxiety in Ayurveda. The leaves of basil have powerful anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties that work effectively for the treatment of fever, flu, swine flu, bronchitis, malaria, viral, headache and sore throat. The herbs help in clearing phlegm and unclogging the respiratory system. The best way to sue holy basil for colds is to wash and boil 8-10 leaves with tea and sip it slowly.
- Herbal and Green Tea: Herbal teas like chamomile or ginger tea and green tea have a special anti-oxidant that prevents the bacteria and viruses form replicating. They also help in increasing the resistance power of the body by strengthening the immune system that helps in fighting infectious agents. The best way to reap maximum benefits from green tea is to pour boiling water into a cup and dip a bag of green tea into it and let it soak for 10 minutes, enjoy with a tea spoon of honey.
- Raisins: They are known to be the healthy snacks and can also be used to effectively treat colds and fevers. The best way to use raisins for colds is to grind up a handful of raisins, add 2 tea spoons of sugar and water to it and heat the mixture till it forms a thick paste, consume 1 table spoon of this paste before going to bed.
- Turmeric: Known for its antiseptic quality and is also used widely to unblock chest congestion and soothes cough. It also works as an effective anti-bacterial and anti-viral agent that fights viral infections, cough and cold. The best way to use turmeric is to consume 2 tea spoons of turmeric powder mixed with a glass of warm water.
Try out these simple and easy home remedies for treating colds and fever that comes straight form Grandmother’s remedy book and don’t forget to share your special natural cold remedies with us.
Cover image: colorstv