Must go: Top 6 events of January 2016Smriti Saxena
After an action packed year end, are you are suffering from vacation hangover? Then you must read on for some respite. Here’s a quick list of upcoming events that can definitely make your days interesting.
Revel in a well-turned phrase and a well-worn page. The Delhi Literature Festival 2016 is all set to bring together the writers, intellectuals, artists, politicians and readers who open up new worlds. Watch out for the panel discussions, book readings, book launches, workshops, performances, speaker events, poetry, theatre and cinema.
- Where: Dilli Haat, Opp INA Market. Nearest Metro Station: INA
- When: 8 – 10 January
- Timings: 2pm – 8pm
- Other details: Programme; Website
New Delhi World Book Fair (NDWBF):
Take a break from one-click buys and doorstep deliveries. For those passionate book lovers it’s time to rejoice. Organised by the National Book Trust of India, the NDWBF is the Asia’s biggest and India’s oldest book fair that has a legacy of 41 years. So, gear up for great and rare books, for the titles you’ve missed in bookstores and publishers you didn’t know about.
- Where: Pragati Maidan. Nearest Metro Station: Pragati Maidan
- When: 9 – 17 January
- Timings: 11am – 9pm
- Other details : website; Facebook page
The Zee Jaipur Literature Festival 2016:
The world famous ZeeJLF is back with the prominent writers such as the Margaret Atwood, Stephen Fry, Ruskin Bond and more. The ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival is the biggest literature festival in the world that brings together some of the greatest thinkers and writers from across South Asia and the world.
From Nobel laureates to local language writers, Man Booker prize winners to debut novelists, every January the most remarkable, witty, sensitive and brilliant collection of authors come together for five days of readings, debates and discussions at the beautiful Diggi Palace in the Rajasthan’s capital.
- Where: Jaipur Literature Festival, Diggi House, Shivaji Marg, C-Scheme, Jaipur
- When: 21 – 25 January
- Other details: Registration, Program, website
Treat your palate to the sumptuous delicacies from Delhi, Amritsar, Chennai, Hyderabad, Gujrat, Rajasthan and several other parts of the country. Reach out for the mouth-watering range from the kebabs, to the vegetarian dishes, to the street food and sinful desserts India style.
- Where: Dilli Haat, Pitampura, New Delhi
- When: 23rd – 24th January 2016
- Timings: 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM
- Other details: Facebook page
The eighth edition of the India Art Fair is all set to blow the imagination of art enthusiasts. The fair will showcase South Asia’s immense diversity in the visual arts with the modern and contemporary forms.
- Where: NSIC grounds Okhla. Nearest Metro Station:
- When: 28 – 31 January
- Other details: website; Facebook page
Hop on to the comedy roller coaster ride. Vir Das is back again with the third edition of The Weirdass Pajama Festival. Starting from January 29, 2016, till February 7, 2016, the festival will travel across several cities in India. Watch the popular comedians perform together at two spectacular shows in Delhi:
- On the pot with Vir Das: A news comedy show where, Vir Das with other comedians/guests read the news and discuss its ridiculous nature, or just praise Modi.
- Performers: Vir Das, Suresh Menon, Jose Covaco, Aditi Mittal, Ashwin Mushran, Kavi Shastri, Anu Menon, Amogh Ranadive
- Kings and Rajas: Kings and Rajas of comedy is a show specially curated for people who enjoy both English and Hindi comedy, with the best from both the Hindi comedy world and the English comedy world coming together to perform on one stage.
- Performers: Vir Das, Papa CJ, Imran Yusuf, Jonathan Atherton, Sunil Pal, Raju Srivastava
- Where: Siri Fort Auditorium. Nearest metro station: Hauz Khas
- When: 31 January 2016
- Timings: 6:00 PM for on the pot & 8:00 PM for Kings and Rajas
- Other details: Facebook page, website
- Tickets: Click here